Institute for Sound and Vision in Hilversum, the Netherlands.
The Talk of Europe – Travelling CLARIN Campus project (www.talkofeurope.eu) aims to instigate pan-European collaboration by organizing three international creative camps in 2014 and 2015. The first camp will be held 6-10 October at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision in Hilversum, the Netherlands.
The Talk of Europe (TOE) project is curating the proceedings of European Parliament (EP) from 1996 onwards, available in 21 languages, and converting these to RDF. Moreover, the data are enriched with biographical and political information on the speakers. Since the data are available in multilingual form, this dataset lends itself to be linked with resources in other European countries, such as parliamentary records or news reports. The RDF dataset and a SPARQL endpoint will be made available in September 2014.
The creative camp intends to bring together developers and academic researchers, with the goal of making inventive use of the EP dataset, exploiting web and natural language processing techniques to add new knowledge and functionality to the dataset.
The goal is to develop proof-of-concept tools that can be applied in scholarly research in the political sciences and humanities.
The event will comprise five consecutive days, which will include
1) presentations by humanities scholars and political scientists
on how they use political datasets,
2) presentations by computer scientists showing best practices
from other projects and
3) practical sessions for tool development.
SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
In order to participate, the TOE organisers welcome proposals
describing ambitions for research tools and/or links with other
datasets. Submissions should describe the following:
- General description of idea (should not exceed 1000 words)
- The research tool to be developed.
- The datasets to be used.
- The scholarly research problem or question to be
- Contact info and a short description of research
interests for all participants who would like to
- A work plan to indicate feasibility of proof-of-concept
creation in 5 days.
- A description of how the tool will be made available after the
For inspiration, please see www.talkofeurope.eu/cfp/inspiration.
To submit a proposal, please send a docx or pdf file to
email@example.com 20 June 2014. Accepted proposals will
be made available on www.talkofeurope.eu.